Darling & Fischer Mortuaries was founded in 1931 by Rev. Roger Darling, with Darling Funeral Home on the corner of 10th and Santa Clara Streets in San Jose, California. Clyde Fischer purchased the funeral home from Rev. Darling, and Darling Funeral Home became Darling & Fischer Garden Chapel. Clyde was an active member of the community, serving as mayor of San Jose from 1932-1937 and on the city council in the 1960s. Clyde was instrumental in establishing Hands Across the Border, which provides school and medical supplies to Mexico. He adopted the Sisters of the Good Shepherd Orphanage in Mexicali, Mexico and provided funding and supplies for many years.